The following are some examples of situations where projects have been terminated. Please read through the articles and answer the questions below.
- The End of an Era – Greyhound Canada ends its operation in South Western Ontario. Article Link: https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/end-of-the-road-for-greyhound-canada
- $2.4B Nuclear waste project terminated. Article Link: https://london.ctvnews.ca/nuclear-waste-plan-officially-terminated-1.5001876
- Renewable Energy Projects terminated in Ontario. Article Link: https://www.airdberlis.com/insights/blogs/energyinsider/post/ei-item/ontario-cancels-renewable-energy-projects-and-introduces-white-pines-project-termination-act-2018
After reading the articles, conduct additional research and then write a paragraph (less than 500 words) incorporating the following:
- State the reason(s) of termination.
- Were they justifiable reasons?
- Was the cause(s) of termination avoidable?
- What steps a project manager will take to close the project?
- Suggest lesson learned from these cases.
Scrum.org. (n.d.) What is a sprint retrospective? https://www.scrum.org/resources/what-is-a-sprint-retrospective.
Stanleigh, M. (2012, November 16) Undertaking a successful project audit. Business Improvement Architects. https://bia.ca/undertaking-a-successful-project-audit/.
The Economist. (2009, October 13). Genchi genbutsu. https://www.economist.com/news/2009/10/13/genchi-genbutsu
Williams, T. C. (2011). Rescue the problem project: A complete guide to identifying, preventing, and recovering from project failure. AMACOM.
This chapter is a derivative the following texts:
Essentials of Project Management by Adam Farag is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.